Alfred North Whitehead’s statement: “What is morality in any given time and place? It is what the majority then and there happen to like and immorality is what they dislike” is a very controversial statement. Think about this statement as you consider the following questions as a guide to help your formulate a thesis statement.
Select 1 of the following questions to answer and develop your thesis statement:
- Businesses can have ethical standards, but businesses are not moral agents. Do you agree or disagree?
- Is it true that the “bottom line” of business is profit and profit alone?
- In business, are there other less tangible goals that are intrinsic to and just as important as making money?
- In a business environment, why should people be moral as individuals?
- Why should a corporation or organization be moral?
- Could you apply the first formulation of Kant’s categorical imperative to a business environment?