Using the information from this course, your assigned readings, and the article and websites linked below you will develop a 6-10 page paper (excludes cover and reference page) addressing obesity and the role of the professional nurse in addressing teaching and learning needs of patient(s) and families.
A minimum of three (3) current, professional references must be provided. Current references include professional publications or valid and current websites (such as those listed below) dated within 5 years. Additionally, a textbook that is no more than one edition old may be used.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – Adolescent and School Health
- United States Department of Health and Human Services – Dietary Guidelines.gov
- United States Department of Health and Human Services – Healthy People.gov (select information from the 2020 topics and objectives)
The paper consists of two (2) parts and must be submitted by the close of week six. Each part must be a minimum of three (3) pages in length.
Select either adult obesity or childhood obesity and:
- Explain the health problem specific to the selected population. Be sure to provide supporting evidence, including statistics.
- Examine the causative factors (include physical, social, and psychological factors).
- Elaborate on the consequences of obesity in the population you selected. Consider the consequences in terms of physical, social and psychological effects. Discuss whether the effect(s) would be classified as short term or long term.
Develop a teaching plan to support the needs of a specific individual from the patient population you selected. Refer to the “Teacher and Counselor” chapter in Taylor et al Fundamentals of Nursing textbook and the article “You teach but does your patient really learn? Basic principles to promote safer outcomes” in order to address the following points:
- How will you assess the patient’s or learning needs? Be sure to consider barriers in your response.
- What are the expected outcomes? Include realistic time frames.
- What information will you teach the patient and why are you selecting this information? Be sure to consider age, gender, culture, religious preferences and learning style.
- How will you evaluate the effectiveness of the teaching?
Compose your work using a word processor (or other software as appropriate) and save it frequently to your computer. Use a 12 font size, double space your work and use APA format for citations, references, and overall format. Information on how to use the Excelsior College Library to help you research and write your paper is available through the Library Help for AD Nursing Courses page. Assistance with APA format, grammar, and avoiding plagiarism is available for free through the Excelsior College Online Writing Lab (OWL). Be sure to check your work and correct any spelling or grammatical errors before you submit your assignment.
Access is provided by email to the email address on record in your MyExcelsior account during week 2 of the term. After viewing your originality report correct the areas of your paper that warrant attention. You can re-submit your paper to Turnitin after 24-hours and continue to re-submit until the results are acceptable. Acceptable ranges include a cumulative total of less than 15% for your entire paper, and no particular area greater than 2% (excluding direct quotes and/or references).
When you’re ready to submit your work for grading, go back to the top of this instruction set and click on the bolded title for the assignment to access the Submission Area of the assignment, then click Browse My Computer and find your file. Once you’ve located your file click Open and, if successful, the file name will appear under the Attached files heading. Scroll to the bottom of the page, click Submit and you’re done.