The registered nurse prepares to conduct a nutritional assessment on Mrs. Varner, a 52-year-old Caucasian female who describes herself as “overweight most of my adult life.” The client states that her health is good. She works part time as a receptionist and volunteers about 10 hours per week in her church. The nurse obtains Mrs. Varner’s height as 64 inches and her weight as 165 pounds. (Learning Objective 8)
- What is the rationale for computing body mass index? What is Mrs. Varner’s BMI?
- Calculate her ideal body weight. What is your assessment of her BMI and weight?
- Based on Mrs. Varner’s BMI and weight, the nurse measures her waist circumference. Describe the proper procedure for this assessment.
- Mrs. Varner’s waist circumference is 38 inches. What is your assessment?
- What laboratory values would the nurse review to evaluate Mrs. Varner’s protein levels?